The Master Plan
OKE plans on implementing our “Growing A Future” initiative into schools up and down New Zealand. Our starting point is Papatoetoe, Auckland, with ten primary/intermediate schools identified to get growing by 2018.
Through Growing A Future, OKE deliver a garden to each school, enabling the kids, teachers and local community to get growing. The garden includes all that is required to make it sustainable; raised beds, greenhouse, composting solutions, kids tools, teacher tools etc. Each Growing a Future project for a school costs $10,000 to put together from start to finish…at no cost to the school!!
Check out our Working Bee Schedule to see the next school receiving Growing A Future and come along to help kids grow.
The Benefits of Growing A Future
• Kids learn the mighty chip comes from a potato
• Kids become the teachers and show parents how to use veggies
• By encouraging communities to come together and share skills, then the community as a whole benefits
• Providing a social platform where kids can just be kids and learn by getting down and dirty
• Increase life skills, increase levels of self-esteem / worth
• Give kids hands-on skills that they might potentially be interested in pursuing in life later on
• Give kids the opportunity to get outside and interact with each other
• Families learning / understanding how to provide / look after their own
• Children growing up healthy and strong with positive outlook / future
• Provide financial skills by turning produce from the garden into profitable sales, which fund a sustainable garden.